Skip to page content

Calendar > Paterson Burn Excellence In Art Student Showcase

Paterson Burn Excellence In Art Student Showcase

Paterson Burn Optometrists is proud to host the 2017 Excellence in Art Competition, for its 5th year running. It was initiated in 2012 to inspire, encourage and reward the creative vision of emerging artists. The competition is being co-ordinated with the support of Creative Waikato.
The competition was open to all year 12 & 13 art students attending secondary schools or are home schooled in the Waikato, Coromandel, Newmarket and surrounding suburbs of Auckland.
The Theme:
The world through the eyes of another - Past, Present, Future
The artists must choose any person living, dead or fictional and tell a story through their eyes.
Entries have now closed, however you can now take home a student artwork through our online bidding. All money raised will be shared between the student and our chosen charity, Diabetes NZ. The student will take home 80% and the remaining 20% to Diabetes NZ.
Bidding ends 8pm Wednesday 3rd May. Click here to bid now!

All submitted entries are now on display at Creative Waikato space until 5th May.

VOTE PEOPLE'S CHOICE AWARD ON FACEBOOK
Vote for your favourite piece of art on Facebook and the artwork with the most likes will win its student artist the People's Choice Award!

We are proud to announce our judges for this year's competition have local and international art exposure and are advocates for growing kiwi talent in the local arts.
Nancy Caiger
Originally from Singapore, Nancy Caiger has resided in Hamilton for the last 24 years and began painting shortly after arriving in New Zealand. Nancy is also Chair of MESH Sculpture Hamilton and was pivotal in bringing celebrated New Zealand artist Michael Parekowhai’s “Tongue of the Dog” sculpture to Hamilton. Throughout the years, Nancy has been involved with various art community projects and groups to help develop local art and community participation. She is a strong advocate for the arts and is both a collector and artist, with her works in public and private collections across France, Mexico, New Zealand, Australia, UK, USA, Canada, Singapore and Hong Kong.

Steph Chalmers
Steph Chalmers is the Art Collection Curator at the University of Waikato, where she manages the University art collection and the exhibition programme for the Calder & Lawson Gallery at the Gallagher Academy of Performing Arts. Steph has worked as an arts educator at the Natural History Museum in London as well as studied Fine Arts under renowned printmaker Marilynn Webb. She has been involved in more than 170 exhibition projects over the last decade and is committed to using her experience to help support and promote emerging artists in New Zealand.

Yaniv Janson
Raglan based, Yaniv Janson is a 25 year old artist with international and local recognition for his work. Yaniv was the youngest artist invited into the New Zealand Academy of Fine Arts after being selected as a finalist for the National Contemporary Art Awards and the James Wallace Trust Art Award. Yaniv has entered the National Youth Art Awards and in 2015 won the Best Abstract prize and an exhibited finalist in 2016. He is also the first Kiwi to be invited by the Paris-based Eg’Art - an organisation that implements the UN Conventions on Human Rights on Disability. This October, Yaniv, who lives with autism and epilepsy, will be exhibiting his new series of artwork titled “Please Do Touch” at UNESCO.

Share this event

When

  • Wed Apr 19 - Sat May 6 2017

Opening times

Monday-Friday 10am-4pm

Where

Creative Waikato Main Space
131 Alexandra Street
Hamilton

Ticket Information

FREE

Restrictions

General admission

Contact

Martine Wong
Email martine@patersonburn.co.nz

131 Alexandra Street, Hamilton, New Zealand
View large map

Visit website