- Events Calendar
- Matamata Christmas Choir - Registration 26 August 2019
Matamata Christmas Choir - Registration 26 August 2019
We are a community choir, which every year a few weeks before Christmas, stages four 90 minute performances of Christmas songs for the local community. We practice once a week on Monday evenings and from time to time have extra rehearsals and workshops.
There is no fee to join the choir.
We are keen to expand our membership and we welcome all singers: basses, tenors, altos and sopranos - we love you all. No audition is required. You don't have to be able to read music (although that is very helpful), all you need is willingness to use your voice, to turn up to rehearsals and to learn the songs. Some of our songs are well known and straightforward Christmas carols to be sung with the audience, others are in two and four part harmony and are sung by the choir.
Our conductor is Mary Heberley, who has extensive experience working with community choirs and will guide us through the repertoire to achieve a high standard of music. Our accompanist is Cheryle King, who deserves a medal for her patience and endurance.
For further information call any of these people:
Dave Brookes 07 8887005 or 0210392191
Margaret Hendry 021 065 9180
Helen Phare 021 376419
1. Registration and introduction 7pm Monday 26 August at the Presbyterian Church Hall, Meura Street, Matamata
2. Weekly rehearsals from 7pm - 9pm starting Monday 2 September at the Presbyterian Church, Meura Street, Matamata
3. A workshop led by Dr Rachel Griffiths-Hughes 2 - 4pm Saturday 7 September at All Saints Church hall, Hohaia Street, Matamata. The aim of the workshop is to give a basic understanding of reading music, so that it is easier and quicker to learn new music. Music studied will be selected from our programme for the 2019 Christmas concerts. Koha will be appreciated.
4. Concert Performances 7.30pm on 5, 6, 7 December and 1.30pm on 8 December, in All Saints Church, Hohaia Street, Matamata