Creative Waikato’s vision is the Waikato prospers with diverse and transformative creative activity. We want arts, creativity and culture. Everywhere. All the time.
We are a non-profit organisation that’s been doing good things to help the arts, support the community, and make creative things happen since 2012.
We are grounded by 4 key pou:
Elevate I Hāpai.
We help you succeed through advice, training and support.
Connect I Tūhono.
We connect you with the right people and places for stronger creative outcomes
Amplify I Whakarahi.
We share stories far and wide and drive engagement with creative activity
Advocate I Taunaki.
We stand up for the arts as they are essential to the wellbeing of our region.
We are seeking expressions of interest to join our board to support the governance of our organisation.
Our Board of Trustees are a group of amazing individuals passionate about creativity and seeing the Waikato region thrive.
The ideal key skills and experience we are seeking are:
- Previous governance experience
- Strong understanding of Te Tiriti o Waitangi and mātauranga Māori and an ability to apply that within the governance of Creative Waikato
- Financial and strategy skills
- Legal skills and experience
Reports to: Chairperson of the Board
This is a volunteer role as part of the governance of the Creative Waikato Trust.
- Work with other Trust board members to maintain oversight of Creative Waikato’s strategic direction and contribute to developing strategic objectives when required.
- Contributes to the effective governance of Creative Waikato.
- Supports Creative Waikato’s efforts to reach its goals.
- Represents Creative Waikato positively in the wider community.
- Passion for the arts, and understanding of how the arts and cultural provisions can contribute to the community
- Have great relationships and a strong network in the wider community
- Previous governance experience, ideally (but not essential) in the not-for-profit sector
- Ability to work collaboratively and in the interests of Creative Waikato
- Effective communication skills and the ability to support the trust and help it thrive
The board ideally needs to have expertise and strengths in the following areas:
- Strong understanding of Te Tiriti o Waitangi and mātauranga Māori
- Strategic thinking, ability to have a bigger picture perspective and conceptualise strategies for Creative Waikato to achieve its goals
- Strong financial literacy and business acumen
- Understanding and awareness of the diverse communities in the Waikato region
- Knowledge of local government, council planning and legal frameworks
- Willingness to use personal and professional networks and relationships in the creative and business sectors to develop and enhance opportunities for Creative Waikato
*** While it is not expected that every trustee will possess every attribute in equal measure, it is imperative that the cumulative attributes and skill sets of the trust board enable it to maintain a robust execution of its responsibilities.
Commitment required: One 2 hour board meeting per every 6 weeks (10 per year) plus equivalent preparation time and governance decisions via email. There will be an expectation for occasional attendance at other creative activities in the community, as well as representation at Creative Waikato events and other stakeholder engagement.
Term: Three-year term with option to renew.
Geographical considerations: Meetings will be held in Kirikiriroa Hamilton, however, applications within the Waikato region will be considered if they are able to attend meetings via Zoom with at least two per year in person.
To express your interest, please fill in the form below with a copy of your cover letter and CV by end of day Thursday 25 May 2023.